Guide to Writing Steampunk
Punk Genres: most common genres are in italics
- Atomicpunk: Optimistic retro science fiction based on the Space Age. Think The Jetsons.
- Biopunk: This genre is about altering genetics and DNA. These stories often take place in the near-future in which humans have been altered or in which human experimentation is common.
- Candlepunk: Similar to clockpunk, but darker and with less technology.
- Clockpunk: Think Da Vinci’s inventions, but more advanced while. This genre follows the aesthetics and technology of Western civilization during the mid to late middle ages, though sometimes it’s set in the Victorian era.
- Cyberpunk: Has advanced technology and often focuses on artificial intelligence and the cyber world. The setting is often near-future rather than far-future. Blade Runner is an example.
- Dieselpunk: Based on aesthetics and technology between World War I and World War II, sometimes up until the Cold War.
- Decopunk: Ranges from the aesthetics of the 1920’s to the 1950’s. Decopunk aesthetic is heavily based on modernism. Less gritty than dieselpunk.
- Elfpunk: Basically urban fantasy, but with common high or epic fantasy creatures put in an urban setting rather than vampires and werewolves.
- Nanopunk: Similar to biopunk, but biotechnology is less available and nanotechnology is common.
- Sandalpunk: Set in ancient worlds, such as Rome, but with advanced technology.
- Splatterpunk: Extremely graphic and contains a lot of gore.
- Steampunk: This genre gets its name from the heavy steam-powered technology involved. Aesthetics are based on the Victorian and industrial eras of the Western world, though other cultural elements may be used.
- Western Steampunk: Similar to steampunk, but with Western (as in Wild West) aesthetics and settings.
However, there are a lot of sub genres, most of which many have not heard of. If you’ve written one of these genres and intend to publish it, the best would be to put it under another name (with the exception of steampunk, cyberpunk, and biopunk). For example, if you have written a candlepunk story, you can propose it as fantasy, alternate historical fiction, or any other genre it may fit in. While atomicpunk is quite common, it’s not well known by that name. If you have written an atompunk story, the best way to market it would be to call it retro science fiction.
But what’s the difference between punk genres and historical fiction? The technology is a big difference. It’s usually more advanced for the time it’s modeled after.
The technology is one of the defining aspects of steampunk. It’s the basis for the world you’re writing in. For the typical steampunk story, technology will be (of course) steam powered.
CHARACTERS & FASHION
Another defining feature of steampunk is the aesthetics and the characters. Steampunk takes the latter part of the word (punk) to mean the opposition of the mainstream, though that’s not always necessary in your story.Research jobs common in the Victorian age and add steam to it. Your characters will revolve around their setting and their clothing may be a part of that too.
- Best Steampunk Books
- Best Steampunk and Gaslight
- Favorite Steampunk/Alt History
- Best Fantasy, Steampunk, and Science Fiction BDSM
- Asian Steampunk
- Buttkicking Female Steampunk
- Best Steampunk YA Books
- Best Unknown Steampunk
- Steampunk Adventures
- Gay Steampunk
- Best Vampire Steampunk
- Steampunk Novels and Short Stories
- Best of Cyberpunk
- Best Cyberpunk Books
- Books with Cyberpunk Themes
- Books About Video Games and Virtual Reality
- Researching Steampunk
- A Brief Introduction to Steampunk
- Steampunk Tropes
- What is Steampunk?
- So You Want to: Write a Steampunk Story
- Steampunk Inspiration
- 8 Tips and Tricks Every Steampunk Writer Should Know
- Writing Steampunk Fiction Tips
- Kady Cross Shares her Secrets to Writing Steampunk
- Tips for Successfully Creating Steampunk
- Steampunk Wiki
- List of Writing Steampunk Resources
- Steampunk: a List of Themes
- How to Write Steampunk
- Writing Steampunk
- Tips for Writing Steampunk
- Technology in Cyberpunk
- Cyberpunk Technology
- History of Cyberpunk
- Cyberpunk Esstentials
- What Happened to Cyberpunk?
- Cyberpunk Fashion (2) (3) (4)
- Cyberpunk Attitude
- ask-zeo-the-zebra likes this
- iantos-mitten likes this
- sapmakai18 reblogged this from love-is-a-lonely-place
- love-is-a-lonely-place reblogged this from jellyfishsmiles
- love-is-a-lonely-place likes this
- yukieclipse reblogged this from comic-challenge
- comic-challenge reblogged this from jellyfishsmiles
- hugglyduckling reblogged this from antithet and added:
- antithet reblogged this from jellyfishsmiles
- jellyfishsmiles reblogged this from chocolatesax
- whiskeywaltz reblogged this from aliveling
- bubblejuices likes this
- apatheticheroine likes this
- swiftrunners-nature reblogged this from hateham-kenway
- swiftrunners-nature likes this
- hateham-kenway reblogged this from neuroticmelancholy
- forlatereference reblogged this from clockworkdelirium
- punkjocks reblogged this from dallonsemaines
- merliny34 reblogged this from cheddar3d
- melimegreenleaf likes this
- nameihateforever reblogged this from naninyan101
- nameihateforever likes this
- thehumantorpedo reblogged this from barefootnightingale
- naninyan101 reblogged this from amyamypondpond
- tinfoilhatter likes this
- dallonsemaines reblogged this from joponyhere
- shadowfallen likes this
- maxandchiwritingguild reblogged this from bitchykanon
- komaehiro likes this
- essentialmess likes this
- ostrichmonkey likes this
- priestessofdan reblogged this from thewritingcafe
- ferriswheelsandthrowingknives reblogged this from azryal00
- really-pathetic-human-being likes this
- thegeekarchangel reblogged this from azryal00
- thegeekarchangel likes this
- borgjedi reblogged this from deathmetalprincess and added:
- borgjedi likes this
- bakapetto1410 reblogged this from honeynutcaravaggios
- kraventhings reblogged this from manateagan
- adarksong reblogged this from wimpyteenager
- adarksong likes this
- wimpyteenager reblogged this from forgottenwinterfrost
- santokki likes this
- centaursarefuckingcute likes this
- uranchan likes this
- yoonmax likes this
- yoonmax reblogged this from azryal00
- maurasaurr likes this
- maurasaurr reblogged this from old-fashioned-mass-hypnosis